Monday, December 31, 2007

My New Phone

I've been in the market for a new phone since the day I purchased my 8125. What a brick. I've had to have the device replaced by AT&T twice.
So I regularly make trips to the AT&T store looking at what's new. Given our requirements here at the church and what I've learned about my own preferences here where my specs:
  • Win Mo 5 or 6
  • Must have "real" buttons for dialing
  • Must be small and somewhat attractive
  • Must be a phone first and a PDA second
  • Must be a good PDA
  • Must have at least pretty good battery life (i.e. shouldn't need a charge mid-day)

Things I realized I didn't care about:
  • WiFi
  • Touchscreen
  • Cameras (although nice they usually aren't any good anyway, no matter what the megapixel count is)
I found it the other day in the Pantech Duo. 
----
----
The phone is as small as my wife's Samsung Sync flip phone, has both a qwerty keyboard and a real phone keypad (due sliders) and if you didn't know it you would think it was only a phone. It runs Win Mo 6 smartphone edition. 

The exterior is pretty good looking. As a bonus it also has 3G wireless. It doesn't have WiFi but see above on that one.
I could forgive quite a few since on it's appearance alone but here are a few quirks after having used it for a week:
  • Sometimes freezes up. Hey it's still a MS product.
  • Keyboard is a little hard to type on.
  • Couple of personlizing things I would like. Most seem to be an issue with the fact that I'm using smartphone instead of pocket pc.
  • Vibrate isn't super strong, but it is quiet. 

No comments: