Sunday, December 23, 2007

Ministry is like a used-car

A friend of mine, Tony Dye, recently purchased about a 15 year old Acura Integra. As he took me for a spin and told me about the car he told me more about the person that had owned it than he did about the car.

He described how meticulous the person was in caring for the car, how in order the records were, how carefully the car had been driven. All of these details told me how good the car was by how good the person was to the car. It wasn't a matter of love, we all love our cars, even when we hate them. It was a matter of care and the realization of that love into affection.

So, question: How many people would want to inherit your ministry after you? How are your records (could anyone pick it up if you suddenly moved to Hawaii)? How many people could successfully adopt your ministry?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hate to be picky, but the car is closer to 18 years old (it's a 1990 model). Original purchase date was 5/19/1990 (since I have all the records :-)

Great questions about "inheritance." I've always asked the question about being run over by a bus. Moving away is a better way to look at it.

Is "transparency" a good practice in ministry? I'll think about that...