Monday, February 25, 2008

One more thing to know if you're a mac user at Perimeter

ok, ok, ok. I had to say this, especially after reading Jeremy Scheller's post on Keynote.

The last thing you have to know if you're a mac user at Perimeter is:
Even though you may have some more polished tools than some of the people around you, you STILL have to play nice.

Case in point I recently was asked to put together a presentation for a new strategic planning dealy here at Perimeter. My first question: Am I presenting this or do I have to hand it over to someone else to present (run the presentation)?

There were a lot of early requests that would have been very confusing without doing some simple animations (made incredibly easy in Keynote '08). So, I went ahead and start creating in Keynote. 

It was easy and fun.

Some bonuses for me were:
Easy animations along a path, ability to animate scaling, rotation and transparency.
Fun and really fast
Finished product always has more polish
Presentation viewer is really nice
Works well with all types of media, including photoshop files (in case I'm too lazy to convert)

In the end though the guys upstairs wanted edibility and the ability for everyone to view the presentation on their computer. PDF wasn't going to cut it anymore.

So reluctantly (at least for me, to them it was yes sir) I went ahead with the conversion. It had to redo some text, bullets were a mess, and my sweet animations had to be replaced with before and after slides transitions. Bottom line though, it doesn't matter. 

I go back to we're lucky because we have a choice. So it's our responsibility to play nice with others.

No comments: