Sunday, February 24, 2008

But I'm on a date...

I like to pretend I've got some things figured out here. The reality is I'm more a juior to a lot of seniors out there (that's for you Tony). I'm still kind of breaking into this thing.

So, today, my Sabbath, I'm walking through church and I couldn't make it to the service without being asked several questions about work. Why does this brochure look like this? How do I get this on the web? Any word on that project?

This isn't really unusual.

I retreated, to a room that me and only two other people have a key to. I'll pretty much hide here until just before the service, grab Sarah and run into the back of the auditorium.

Has anyone figured out how to work at your church and still enjoy a rich, full Sabbath? Is this just the by-product of working for a church? Should I accept this as my Holy duty?

My problem is I just wasn't thinking that way. I was thinking about worship, trying to prepare my heart (which is an all week thing, but corporate worship is special, it's like going on a date with God. You guys always talk but this is special devoted time to block out the rest of the world and focus on Him). I was thinking about how great it was to be doing that with Sarah.

BLAM! I get hit out of left field. 

I hear my name and then the questions. I love the person that asked the question, it was a good question. I just wasn't ready. So I stammered for some answer and finally came out with,"What can I do for you right now?" 

Any sage advice out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you... this is a tough thing. Being _the_ or _a_ go-to guy has its perks but it makes it hard to find time at work/church for undistracted worship.

Lately I've asked "can this wait until Monday?" More often than not, it can... and the person asking acknowledges as much. In front of them I make a note (in my handy GTD note-taker wallet) to give them a call on Monday. With the note safely tucked away I can forget about it until Monday... and back to worship am I.

I believe people generally don't trust themselves to remember their question and choose to ask them 'now.' I sort of think I'm solving two problems: I can get back to worship and they don't have to remember to follow up with me. With a completed commitment the following Monday, we both win.