Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Macs are bulletproof


To be honest I've hesitated posting this, mostly due to embarrassment. But, I figure Richard Dolan or Tony Dye (names later) would end up posting it so I better get my side out first.

About a month ago I woke up, walked into my bathroom, looked and the window. It was still dark so it was easy to notice the streetlights shining off the wet pavement. I thought, why do I care the pavement is wet. Then panic hit me like jumping into a very cold pool.

I left my mac in the back of my pick-up truck.

The night before I did a little overtime, placed my bag in the back of my truck to come home, as I've done before. My intention was to come home and do some more work. I got home really tired, walked in and fell asleep on the couch.

So I did the best I could. I opened the lid. Amazingly it came right up, my goal was to shut it down quickly. As I went to the shutdown button the screen did very weird things. I was able to get it turned off and took it very humbly into our Viant guys.

They were pretty optimistic. We did a complete tear down. Danny Ybarra, amazingly did a complete tear down of the LCD as well. Sprayed it with denatured alcohol and waited.

When we first powered it up it worked. The screen was glitchy. So I took it downstairs to remove the hardrive while I sent it off for repair. I figured any repair cost would be better than replacing a new macbook pro.

When I took it apart I looked at the video ribbon cable, it was loose. A little jiggle and it clicked. I closed it up powered it and it worked. Perfectly.

I'm actually still using my macbook pro everyday with no problems. Well except both fans run at 6,000 rpm's constantly. But hey, I have the coolest running mac ever.

I love my mac.

No comments: