Friday, July 20, 2007

The calm after the vent

So if you read last week you know I was kind of going through an internal crisis about how do I/we unify 242 screaming voices into a coherent choir.

Thanks to everyone who left feedback.

Question though- Should I try to make those messages the same? If so, to what extent.

Trust me I know this flies in the face of all traditional marketing and communications thinking but I'm mentally going down a path here.

Also don't go to the other extreme, absolutely I think that an organization as a whole should have one key message (or maybe a couple) to its audience.

What if all of the message are trying to achieve the same goal but with different messages. Is that noise?

I played football and ran track in high school. I remember running, focusing hard on the goal and all around me people were yelling. Sometimes I could focus in on one person saying GO! GO! GO! but not most of the time.

Most of the time I heard yelling. But immediately I know if they were yelling for me or against me.

Think of it, 1,000 voices yelling different messages all with the same goal. It worked. I knew if I had messed up or succeeded by the tone.

Is that how corporate messaging should be? Different voices yelling at the same time different messages pushing on to the same goal.

As I've mentioned we are in the middle of a rebrand. I was surprised to find out during the focus groups that people get us. Is that because we are doing it right despite my thoughts otherwise? Everyone cheering, everyone saying press on to the goal.

No comments: