Friday, November 14, 2008

Sites I really like

Wow I didn't even know this blog still worked. Sorry it's been so long since I posted but honestly I'm not near important enough to have anything to say.

BUT I do surf the web a heck of a lot looking for "stuff." A lot of my creative and web friends ask where I get this or that resource or where I find out about that. So I put together of list of my favorite sites for FREE vectors and images as well as the blogs I follow that give me even more goodies. Sorry there's not screen grabs, just didn't have time. Click a link and see it for yourself.

Sites I go get stuff from:
Kuler- Amazing color site by adobe. Type in anything and get a great color palette.
Brusheezy- Cool photoshop brushes and patters. This site has literally saved me hundreds if not thousands.
myPhotoshopBrushes.com- Same deal as brusheezy but they also have custom shapes, styles and gradients. This stuff is that little extra that makes your work extra sweet and someone else did a lot of leg work for you. 
Vecteezy- You guessed it, it's brusheezy but with free vectors. This site is especially good for floral, ornaments and icons. 
Dafont- This is my favorite font site. Almost everything is PC and Mac so no finding the perfect font and then oh wait font designers love PC better. They have a great range of fonts but by far I love the destroyed and eroded sections the best.
Urban Fonts- Not near as cool as dafont but they have those gems. Dafont has hundreds of good fonts. Urban font has 5 amazing ones.
CreativeMYK- This is a site specifically for churches and Christian designers. The art is really good and people upload their work in layers. Check the terms carefully, not everything is free to use, however being able to look at how someone achieved a look in layers is a cool way to sharpen your skills.
BgPatterns- This sites mostly for fun. I've never used anything here but it's a cool way to create a truly custom background.
Bittbox- Another cool site I've never been able to use things from but it definitely feeds me.
morgueFile- A free stock image library. I don't know that I'd say the art is amazing but it's free and it can be that spice in there that is not the critical piece.
Lost and Taken- amazing super hi-res image backgrounds and textures. Fun stuff.

Blogs I follow:
Creattica Daily- Great commentary and links to anything in the creative world. The highlight cool designers, designs, sites, conferences, etc. It's a one stop shop for creative fun.
Smashing Magazine- Another one just like Creattica. Actually I found this site on Creattica one day. Another one stop shop for everything awesome.
Usability Post- They basically crawl the web finding problems or solutions and put them out there for everyone to see. Lots of little things that make your world, err, I mean site better.


1 comment:

robyn blaikie collins said...

thanks for this list. i'm saving it right now. i was aware of some of them, but not others! very cool.