Tuesday, May 29, 2007

How to organize a creative?

The task list for a creative is a little different than most. We're often called into brainstorming meetings where ideas fly around and it comes down to us to create steps that make the idea happen. Even our daily list of to-do's can change drastically based on deadlines or vendors.

I'm sure you have your own method. Just today I was sitting in a meeting with another guy I seriously respect for his ability as a designer, Britt Collins. I've got my pad and I'm jotting ideas and drawing lines to connect similar points, doodling along the way. Britt across the table from me brought only three neatly folded papers to the table. He laid them out and jotted with extreme precision each idea on one of the three sheets.

All this to say I've been looking at websites that help creative people stay organized. I'll post them here. If you have your own ideas or places please post them here too.

Lastly I came up with my own idea based on the method I've been using since I started working. My printer was kind enough to discount me a few pads. Feel free to rip this idea off if it helps.

behance.com is a site dedicated to making ideas happen. They interview giants in the industry and see how they were able to make it happen. They have an outfitters section with some pads that I really like. They also have an "unscientific" method on how to use them. Thanks to Drew Kimball, who creates some of the best designs I've seen, for the link.

knockknock.biz is a site that I just like. Some of their office pads really interest me and just being on their site gives me ideas. Don't know how much I'll ever use. Thanks to Jason Walch, a guy that just oozes creativity from every large pore on his body, for turning me onto them.

And last- here's what's working for me.




_sl

No comments: